- Problem Definition
Garuda AACE 2015 was established during 5 days face to face class with 2 main targets pass AACE Certification exam at first attempt and gain Return of Training Investment (RoTI). Team initial task is to capture team behavior and determine effective leadership style to maintain morale to increase team productivity.
- Identify the Feasible Alternative
In 1965, Tuckman published his Forming Storming Norming Performing model and completed with the fifth stage, Adjourning in 1970s. This model explains that as the team develops maturity and ability, relationships establish, and the leader changes leadership style from Directing (Telling), Coaching, Participative, and Delegating up to Directing (Concluding).
Fig. 1 Tuckman’s Team Development Model
Below is the brief relationship illustration of each phase in the Tuckman’s model.
Fig. 2 Five Stages of Team Leadership Development 
Fig. 3 Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Influence behaviors 
Knowing when to use each leadership style is depend on the readiness of the person or group one is leading. Below is the leadership style (R1 to R4) based on the readiness level (S1 to S4): Table.1 – Readiness Level and Leadership Style (Hersey and Blanchard’s Situational Leadership model) 
- Development of the outcome for Alternatives
To capture team behavior, a survey was conducted using Donald Clark  survey model on Tuckman’s four stages of team development, and distributed among team member to answer. Responses are presented in the aggregate, without any individual’s responses being revealed to the team. Table.2 – Individual responses from the questionnaire 
- Selection of Criteria
Based on the above individual’s response, PERT analysis was performed to identify team behavior at P70. It shows current team is in the PERFORMING stage. Table.3 – Donald Clark Survey Result with P70 
- Analysis and Comparison of the Alternatives
PERFORMING means team is more strategically aware, focus on over-achieving goals. Disagreements may occur however it will be resolved positively within the team. Suitable leadership style will be DELEGATING (overseeing) style
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Even though team was consider in the PERFORMING stage, however considering that this is new team with various team member backgrounds, it will be wise to looking for the lower stage. With Forming and Storming P70 number are close, team is consider in the STORMING stage and required COACHING leadership style to accommodate. Leader should lead the team to be focused on its goals. As the team maturity level increase, then Leader can transform their style into DELEGATING (overseeing)
- Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
Monitoring of team progress as well individual member’s progress is important to achieve Team’s goals. Program Manager, supported by Project Controller should continuously monitor both team and individual performance, build and maintain an effective communication among team members and take necessary action if required. References :
- Tuckman, B. (1965). Tuckman’s Team Developmental Model -. Retrieved from http://www.focusadventure.com/team-building/gallery/tuckmans-team-developmental-model/
- Tuckman and Jensen. (1977). Dare To Be a Leader? | CULCbulanppa. Retrieved from https://culcbulanppa.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/dare-to-be-a-leader/
- Hersey-Blanchard. (1970). Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Theory | drypen.in. Retrieved from http://www.drypen.in/human-resource/hersey-blanchard-situational-leadership-theory.html
- Clark, D.(2002). Survey: What Stage is Your Team in? Retrieved from http://www.cscaweb.org/EMS/sector_team/support_files/tools_for_the_team/tool_stage.pdf
- Jauhari, Achmad . (2015). W1_AJ_Leadership Styles | GARUDA AACE 2015. Retrieved from https://garudaaace2015.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/w1_aj_leadership-styles/