- Problem Definition
Follow up the suggestion in W5 blog posted by Author with regard to benchmark the estimating process to US Government Accountability Office (GAO) with the current Author Estimating process application. Author will do the best practise check list and will review if there is any strong or weakness point compare to current process and find the propose improvement for a better future process and credible cost estimate.
- Development of Feasible Alternatives.
In this case, Author will do the check list compare to GAO Estimating process and find out what is the strong or weakness on each process
- Development of the Outcomes for Alternative
In GAO Cost Estimating and Assessment Guide provides 12 step of estimating process as shown on following figure:
Figure 1. GAO Cost Estimating Process1
These 12 steps shown on above figure could be categorized into 4 main process. These main process are:
- Initiation and Research
- Selection of the Acceptable Criteria.
In this checklist Author will check what are the missing step of estimating process if compare to GAO approach. Also raise the concern to management for improvement and develop guidance and procedure for implementation.
- Analysis and Comparison of the Alternatives.
Based on check list assessment, below are the summary:
Table. 1. Checklist Comparison Result
Based on above checklist, the missing step is on conduct sensitivity analysis and some concern on data validation and it resources. Other step on GAO already implemented including procedure and guidance to support them.
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
With refer to GAO where it developed the step by step estimating process to provide the reliable output for estimating process, this step by step process is easily for auditable and accountable and traceable. Based on above checklist result, Author will propose to management by adopted the Force Field Tool for consideration and implementation.2&4
Figure 2. Force Field Analysis
Based on above Force Field Analysis, Management need more focus on restraining forces.
- Performance Monitoring and Post-Evaluation of Results
Based on above result of estimating process check list, there is a missing process on conduct of sensitivity analysis and some of data validation and it resources. Author required to propose an idea and development of procedure to accommodate this process. Also the forces field Analysis above is a good to identify and understand the current state and represent the process needed for successful business setting.
- United State Government Accountability Office (GAO) (2009), Cost Estimating and Assessment Guide, Chapter 1, pp.8-14
- Brassard, M. & Ritter, D. (2010), The Memory Jogger 2 Tools for Continuous Improvement and Effective Planning, Second Edition, Canada, Force Field Analysis, pp 86-90
- Permana, Arif (2013), W16_APE_Comparison Cost Estimate Process, Retrieved from https://simatupangaace2014.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/w16_ape_comparison-cost-estimate-process/
- Wells, Stephen. (2006), Force Field Analysis Mini-Tutorial Quality Management, Retrieved from http://www.freequality.org/documents/knowledge/Mini-Tutorial.pdf, 21 April 2015