1. Problem Definition
An oil and gas company discover some gas fields that not economic to be developed individually due to the amount of accumulation gas cannot satisfy the field economic. In addition, the most of the gas from those fields are with the high content of CO2 and the buyer has set the max allowable content of the CO2. Therefore, the company try to see the possibility to developed them as integrated marginal fields.
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative
There are 3 main factors and possibilities that will affect the economics of the integration:
- the number of fields to be integrated,
- the maximum plateau rate that will lead to the capacity of the facility and duration of the production, and
- the use of the existing nearby facility
- the mixing/ combination strategy of the fields to satisfy the maximum CO2 content.
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
The company will run 6 Major Scenarios with some sub scenario as indicated in Table-1:
Table-1. Development Scenario
4. Selection Criteria
The selection criteria will be on the amount of the gas can be retrieved (EUR: Estimated Ultimate Recovery), the NPV, POT, and the IRR.
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
The economics analysis of the scenarios are shown in the Table-2:
Table-2. Scenario Analysis
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
The first priority for choosing the scenario is the EUR and the NPV. It is obvious that the Scenario 5c is the best scenario with EUR of 145 BCF and NPV of US$ 125 million.
Figure 1. Schematic of the Facility Integration
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
Since the prediction of gas production from each fields and CO2 content still contain risk, the production of each field should be monitored closely and the rate of the high CO2 content field and low one, with the use of the CO2 removal, should be combined to get the sufficient CO2 content indicated by the buyer.
- Liana, Lita, (2013). Using AHP to Determine Appropriate MARR for Oil and Gas Projects in Indonesia. CCP Certification Technical Paper. 118130 (6), pp.13-17
- Garuda AACE (2015). W03_WRP_Treating or Reducing The Gas Production?. Retrieved from: https://garudaaace2015.wordpress.com/2015/03/20/w03_wrp_treating-or-reducing-the-gas-production/
- Garuda AACE (2015). W06.1_WRP_MRU Preliminary Economical Evaluation using NPV. Retrieved from: https://garudaaace2015.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/w06-1_wrp_mru-preliminary-economical-evaluation-using-npv/
- Topazsmart (2014). W5_AAA_Benefit Cost Ratio & Payback Period for Gas Development Project. Retrieved from: https://topazsmartd.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/w5_aaa_benefit-cost-ratio-payback-period-gas-development-project/